By Shirley Samuels
- Draws seriously on ancient and cultural contexts in its attention of yankee fiction
- Relates the fiction of the interval to conflicts approximately territory and sovereignty and to problems with gender, race, ethnicity and identity
- Covers diversified types of fiction, together with children’s literature, sketches, polemical items, ancient romances, Gothic novels and novels of exploration
- Considers either canonical and lesser-known authors, together with James Fennimore Cooper, Hannah Foster, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Herman Melville and Harriet Beecher Stowe
- Treats ignored subject matters, akin to the Western novel, technological know-how and the radical, and American fiction in languages except English
Read or Download A Companion to American Fiction 1780 - 1865 (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
This is often the 1st book-length learn of the preferred novelist Tom Robbins. Whimsy and humor signify Robbins' paintings, yet sort and language are the keystones. Hoyser and Stookey express how Robbins deftly makes use of sort and humor to depict the absurdities and injustices of our international. His novels always problem perceptions of the realm that folks immediately label as basic.
Compliment for the sooner edition:“Students of recent American literature have for a few years became to 15 smooth American Authors (1969) as an vital advisor to major scholarship and feedback approximately twentieth-century American writers. In its new form—Sixteenth glossy American Authors—it will remain quintessential.
Because the velocity of cultural globalization hurries up, the self-discipline of literary reviews is present process dramatic transformation. students and critics concentration more and more on theorizing distinction and complicating the geographical framework defining their ways. even as, Anglophone literature is being created by way of a remarkably transnational, multicultural staff of writers exploring some of the comparable matters, together with the intersecting results of colonialism, decolonization, migration, and globalization.
The break up topic of Narration in Elizabeth Gaskell’s First-Person Fiction analyzes a couple of Elizabeth Gaskell's first-person works via a post-modern viewpoint applying such theoretical frameworks as psychoanalytic thought, narratology, and gender concept. It makes an attempt to discover the problematics of Victorian subjectivity, bringing into concentration the ways that either her practical and Gothic texts undercut and interrogate post-Romantic assumptions approximately an self sufficient and coherent talking and/or narrating topic.
- Writing the Self: Henry James and America
- The Sacred Hoop: Recovering the Feminine in American Indian Traditions
- In Pursuit of Poem Shadows: Pureza Cantelo's Second Poetics
- The Cambridge Companion to William Faulkner (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
- Postcolonialism and Science Fiction
Additional resources for A Companion to American Fiction 1780 - 1865 (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to American Fiction 1780 - 1865 (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by Shirley Samuels